Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How to Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup...

...when there is no chicken to be found in the house.

A few afternoons ago I had a massive craving for chicken noodle soup. The weather has just been awful lately with rain and snow and cold and I hate it. I figured some good old-fashioned chicken noodle soup (and a good book) was in order. Problem was, that upon investigating, I found that we were out of chicken.
What to do? Just make "Noodle Soup" instead. 

I chopped up 2 carrots and an onion, cooked them on medium heat in a soup pot with about 2 teaspoons of oil. Once they softened up a bit, I poured in about 4 cups of water. To that I added one spoonful of chicken base (or I suppose you could use bouillon cubes too). Then I let that come to a boil, and added a few handfulls of thin egg noodles, the ones that are toothpick sized and some dried parsley. I let the noodles cook until tender, ladled a bowlfull and curled up with a good book.















What do you like to eat when the weather gets nasty?

No comments:

Post a Comment