Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall Friday

Whew. What a busy month September has been so far. College classes started at the beginning of the month and I also was hired at a new part-time job! Balancing a full time class schedule with work has been a learning process and I feel bad that my blog is being neglected.
Most days of the week I do not get home until after 8pm which makes it hard to find to cook (Thank you DB for cooking and helping out with household-y things these past few weeks!!!) and on the odd day I do have time, I  forget to take a picture of whatever I made. Thankfully, I have some recipes stocked up and photographed and I just have to get them from computer to here.

I admit I made this recipe a few weeks ago but happliy enough the weather took another cool turn so I think it's fitting that I share it with you now- Homemade Beef Stew. This was a really easy recipe and totally customizable to your personal tastes. The original recipe was for a slow cooker but I used a dutch oven on the stovetop instead. Serve this with buttered biscuits.

Homemade Beef Stew
adapted from Down to Earth

2 Tbsp oil
2 pounds of stew meat cut into cubes. I used chuck
2 tsp paprika
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped into rounds
4 medium-ish potatoes, I like a lot of potatoes
1 sweet potato, diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup water
bay leaf and a sprinkle of dried thyme. Rosemary would also be good.

Pat the meat dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven. Get it really smokin' hot then toss the meat in there. Let it sit a minute then stir it around. When the meat is well seared, remove it to a plate and set aside. Add a teeny bit more oil to the pot if it needs it and toss in the veggies. Get them nice and brown then add the beef back in. At this point the bottom of the pot should have a lot of brown crusty stuff of the bottom. This is your delicious-ness. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste. Next, pour in the water, be sure to scrape up all of the brown bits from the bottom. Bring this to a boil, then turn down the heat and add the bay leaf and thyme. Cover and simmer on low until the potatoes are tender. While it's cooking, get to work on the biscuits! Stew need biscuits!
Veggies all chopped up.

The finished stew. This amount of flour does not make it super thick like a canned beef stew. More like a thick sauce. I prefer it this way because I like to mush up all of the veggies with the gravy. Sounds gross but I love it.

2 comments:

  1. We love beef stew at our house, and it is starting that time of year again for soups/stews! Saw you are in need of crockpot recipes. I have a ton of them on my blog, along the right hand side, feel free to take a look!

    Just this week I made BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches in the crockpot. 1 pork roast, 1 can diet cola, 1 cup barbecue. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, shred with fork and serve on buns. So easy and very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I checked out your blog and am drooling over your recipes!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete